[RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Oct 1 17:39:14 EDT 2013

 > I have it on good authority that all those "slow RTTY" stations that
 > you hear are running one of the MicroHam products which send true FSK,
 > but only at 45 baud not 45.45.  So that's out.

"Slow RTTY" is *not* related to 45 vs. 45.45 baud.  The 0.9% difference
between 45.45 and 45 baud (22.22 ms vs. 22 ms) or less than 0.1 second
for a "typical" 50 character contest exchange is not detectable by ear
and is certainly within the error margin of the typical hardware UART
(e.g. "real" serial port).  The 0.22ms difference in bit period is far
less that the *measured* +/- 2 msec per bit jitter in USB products which
use EXTFSK.

"Slow RTTY" is directly associated with improper software setup -
particularly excess "Char Wait" and "Diddle Wait" in MMTTY and use of
the "Strict BPS" parameter in older versions of the Eltima VSPAX third
party component when not required.  The current version of VSPAX  has
improved timing (no longer treats all codes as 8 bit) and proper
configuration of the MMTTY plug-in for all major logging software does
not require use of "Strict BPS".

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.