[RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Oct 1 16:58:22 EDT 2013

I have simple requirements but I can't find a vendor that can meet them all.

o single USB cable from PC to box
o built-in sound device
o single cable to radio (multiple heads for connections not on
accessory connector like CI-V)
o ability to transmit FSK RTTY at 45.45 (note decimal) and 75 baud

Yes, I'm aware of the FSK vs AFSK thing and like FSK anyway so please
don't send a message telling me to "forget FSK".

I want simple cabling and not have to switch cables around to move
from phone to RTTY to CW to PSK (or other audio modes).

Sadly, the RigExpert doesn't meet the qualifications because it
doesn't do 75 baud without using MixW (in fact, it won't support 45.45
baud with MMTTY unless you use RE's hacked EXTFSK) - big
disappointment there since I actually had one until I returned it.

SignalLink doesn't do FSK for us purists (according to their FAQ).

RigBlaster ... well ... I've had a RigBlaster+ for almost 10 years and
like it fine, but it's the rat's nest of cables I want to get rid of
and the RB Advantage does not do that.

I have it on good authority that all those "slow RTTY" stations that
you hear are running one of the MicroHam products which send true FSK,
but only at 45 baud not 45.45.  So that's out.

Oooh.  I should go look at AEA and see what the new PK232SC has.
Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Seriously, though, who else is there?