[RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Wed Oct 2 12:50:43 EDT 2013

The CW paddle sent RTTY from an Elecraft K3 is one possible source of
"slow RTTY". Another, as has been eluded to, is the settings within some
software.

I am going to describe two tests you can run for yourself. This involved
using MMTTY as a stand-alone software. Actually, two separate MMTTY
installations on one computer. (Installed in C:\MMTTY1 and C:\MMTTY2 -
which allows independent configurations.)

The first test is see how much difference there is between 45 and 45.45
baud. Start one instance of MMTTY and set the Baud setting on OPTIONS >
Setup Options > Decode > BaudRate > 45. Start the second instance of
MMTTY and set the Baud setting to 45.45 Baud. Now back on the main RTTY
window click the TX button on both instances of the software. You should
hear diddles from both versions, and when you listen "closely", you will
hear the beat of the "ticks" move in and out of synch very slowly. As
has been stated, without test equipment, it will be impossible to hear
the difference in speed between 45 or 45.45 Baud on the air.

The second test is to recreate "Slow RTTY". Following the menus OPTIONS
 > Setup Options > TX, near the top center are two sliders named "Char
Wait" and "Diddle Wait". Normally these sliders are full left (as they
should be). Move the "Char Wait" slider to the far right. Now click the
TX button on the MMTTY main window and listen to the paced "tick" of the
diddle. I am guessing it's about 3 or 4 ticks per second. And of course
you can move the slider toward the left and decrease the delay between
characters sent by MMTTY. This slider provides the "opportunity" for
someone who doesn't understand it's impact to nudge it slightly to the
right, unknowingly creating "Slow RTTY" on the air.

My mileage varies (between 25 and 28.5 mpg).

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN