[RTTY] 160 m

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 02:25:55 EDT 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 00:14:39 -0500, Ron wrote:

> For the record I did the 160m JT65 WAS with
>20 watts or less

REPLY:

The reason I brought up HP on 160 was the nature of the band. Unlike the
higher bands, 160 is always "open" in the sense of E or F layer reflection,
the question is how much D-layer  attenuation is present. Because of this,
the more power you run, the farther you can talk, day or night.

Compare that to ten meters for example. If ten is not open, it doesn't
matter if you are running the legal limit, you won't get anywhere exec pt
for ionospheric or meteor scatter or some such. 160 doesn't work that way
and HP is an advantage more than the other bands. I suspect JT65 and HP
would be a powerful (no pun intended) combination.

However, I still think HP should stay away from the traditional JT65
segments. HP will almost certainly not be welcome there.

73, Bill W6WRT