[RTTY] Anyone Using FTDX300 on RTTY

Jim Harris jim.w0em at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 16:25:07 EDT 2013

Hi Dick,

I use my FTdx3000 as part of a SO2R RTTY contest station.  The other radio is a TS-590.  See my comments below

1) How well does it work for RTTY receive?  Do  you use the 300hz or 600hz
roofing filter?

I've very please with the RTTY receiving.  I do use the 300 hz filter.  It is an extra cost option but it is well worth the dollars (about $180).

2) How well do you like it's FSK transmit?

FSK transmit is fine.  See below for how I have it configured.

3) Have you been able to get the radio to operate RTTY  transmit and
receive by only using a USB connection from the FTDX3000 to  your CPU?  (without
using the rear 3000's RTTY jack and without using the  3000's audio output
jack)

 I use the the RTTY/PKT jack on the back along with RS-232 for CAT and audio cables for receive.  I use opto isolators in the back shell of the computer connector for RTTY and PTT.  The reason I use this method is that both radio's use the same USB driver and I have not been able to get both radios to work with USB using the same driver.  Perhaps that is just a shortcoming on my part and not a software/hardware issue.  It appears that menu item 93 gives the option of using the either the RTTY/PKT connector or the USB connector.  There may be a loss of CAT when the USB connector is used for FSK.  I'm understanding the USB can be used only for two functions, i.e. CAT or RTTY/PKT and sound.

If one can operate RTTY, both transmit and receive, by simply  using the
FTDX3000's USB connection to the CPU, that would be a really neat and  simple
setup, which I would love!

Try it and see if it works.  Let us know how it works out for you.  Good Luck

73,  Jim, W0EM