[RTTY] Comments on ARRL Centennial QSO Party

Dick Kriss aa5vu at att.net
Sat Apr 12 09:37:07 EDT 2014

As noted on my web page at http://www.qsl.net/aa5vu/dxcc-table.htm I am active the ARRL 2014 Centennial QSO party and it has been fun. I have moved up on the ARRL’s Leader Board from #360 to #188 out of 91,610 participants - with 319 QSOs for 27 States in CW, RTTY and Phone.

For the most part the W1AW/P operators have been great but I recently noticed one technique that was really confusing. The operator was saying UP 2 but was selectively working some stations simplex.  This resulted in pile-up on his calling frequency and it was hard to hear (or see) his reports. Hopefully, future operators will stay with split or simplex - but not both at the same time.

I do appreciate the RTTY macros that give my call twice (at the beginning and end of the W1AW/P exchange). This is really helpful in simplex to be sure the report was for me. The first statement of my call sometimes gets stepped on.

Thanks to the W1AW/P operators.  You have done a good job and I am sure you enjoyed the experience.

73 Dick AA5VU
Using a TS-590S, fldigi and Aether on a 27-inch iMac