[RTTY] Comments on ARRL Centennial QSO Party

James C. Hall, MD heartdoc at nwtcc.com
Sat Apr 12 10:46:28 EDT 2014

Hi Dick:

Yes, I caught myself doing this on the first day of TN operation, but I was quickly told 'don't do that' ! It was my first time being the fox and running split, completely opposite from when you are chasing DX. It was REALLY fun !

I made over 1700 Q's on my RTTY shifts and really enjoyed myself. The pileups were something I've never experienced and running split is simply a must. The paradigm shift for me was using a panadapter (the Elecraft P3) so as to see the signals and not just hear them. That made all the difference in the world as I could rapidly QSY to a signal 3 kHz away when I saw him.

I used my Elecraft K3 / P3 with my modified TL-922 amplifier. Worked great ! I had lots of help from folks that have done this sort of thing before in expeditions and made my macros 'DX short', not 'Ed short', but close enough ! BTW, I had both THE 'AA5's' in the log.

I haven't been as active as you, Dick, on this Centennial QSO Party, preferring to give the contacts rather than chase them. I did put W1AW/# in the log on the 12/17M bands since, with all my contesting, I still didn't have USA confirmed on the non-contest bands ! HI

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

Sent from my iPad