[RTTY] FSK Keying on an Icom 7800 Problem

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Sat Feb 1 12:36:14 EST 2014

In order for any circuit to work that uses "parasitic" power, the host has to source a minimum of the switching transistor's  ICsat.  Use a VOM and measure the current when you ground the keying pin of the radio.  If it's not at least ICsat, adding gain (via a Darlington pair) or sourcing additional base current (with a lower base resistor) isn't going to drive the transistor into saturation.  The fact that it works on one radio and not another sounds an awful lot like you're right on the edge.

I would try Jim Hargrave's last suggestion - install a pull up resistor to an external power source. Here are the formulas you'll need to calculate the component values:

Pull up resistance=(Vcc-VCEsat)/ICsat  Vcc-power supply voltage + Use next lowest standard R value
Base resistor=(Vbb - 0.7)/(ICsat/Hfe)   Vbb-driver source voltage + Use next lowest standard R value

Vcc needs to be within the safe spec for the radio.  Keeping the supply equal to the measured open circuit voltage is the safe thing to do if you don't know the specification.

You also need to pick a transistor that has a VCEsat low enough to reliably signal a state change.  Typical silicon switch (e.g. 2N3904) is around 0.2 volts, which is sufficiently below the TTL zero level of <0.7V.

Al
AB2ZY