[RTTY] RTTY skimmer observations - long

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Jan 6 11:42:07 EST 2014

Hello Wes...

I know you have put a lot of time, effort, and money into building your
RTTY Skimmer. Please take my comments below as a 'positive' feedback
experience, offered to help identify and find solutions to some of the
issues I am reporting.

The first issue I noticed this past weekend was that when I (KØRC) was
spotted, the spot frequency was consistently 100 Hz too low. That's not
a huge discrepancy so I don't feel this is a major problem. As you know,
the cluster system rounds off frequencies to the nearest 0.1 KHz
increment. In many cases this is a plausible explanation for the
mismatch. This isn't the case I am reporting though. I am reporting that
my Mark frequency is perhaps 14085.5 and the spot comes through as
14085.4. There should not be any rounding error in that scenario. That
minor frequency error is not enough to miss a CQing station and I am
reporting the issue only as a data point.

The second observation was that I was not picked up on 10 meters. Maybe
you didn't have a receiver scanning that band or maybe there was no
propagation between our locations. Were you scanning 10 meters over the
weekend?

The third observation was on the other bands I was being spotted almost
immediately, which is good, but is not good when I am in S&P mode! I
think this is the issue that is being reported by others and hopefully
can be reviewed and resolved.

As you know, during contests many stations (who are running a frequency)
will end their transmission with _CALLSIGN_CQ_ (where the underscore is
the space character in these examples).

I answer with my call sign only. The actual Baudot code would be:
CR/LF_KØRC_KØRC_  (with the FIGS/LTRS codes either side of the number Ø).

I answer a CQing station, immediately on their frequency. Typically
within +/- 10 Hz. In addition, I might start my transmission prior to
their carrier dropping. To a third-party listener, who is receiving us
both at the same strength, there might not be any detectable "dead air"
separating the two transmissions. It is possible the frequency could
sound like a continuous transmission from one transmitter.

Other times when I answer a CQing station, the RUN station will have
some unexpected trailing "garbage" so I cannot anticipate when to hit my
TX, and in those cases, there WILL be dead air between our transmissions.

In either case, if you were CQing and I answered you, the sequence might
look like this:  ...WZ7I_WZ7I_CQ_CR/LF_KØRC_KØRC_

I send the CR/LF_ to start a fresh line and one space character to
provide extra synch time for your decoder. On the other hand, some
fellows go CR/LF 'happy' at the end of their transmissions (which I
never understand WHY!) sending a half dozen CR/LF codes. My sample above
is the most abbreviated example of a S&P station calling a RUN station
and the S&P call sign getting spotted incorrectly.

If you check your RTTY Skimmer log for KØRC, you will want to know that
I ran on 280084.0 for the first 10 minutes of the contest only. The rest
of the weekend was strictly S&P mode so my call sign should not show up
anywhere other than between 1800z ~ 1810z the first day on 10 meters.

It was nice to know that my signal was being decoded and posted (and I
could see how strong I was being received). But I felt "guilty" that I
was being spotted numerous times on someone else's run frequency. Of
course that scenario was not unique to me. I am anticipating you and
Walter will figure out a better method to determine whether a RTTY
station is a RUN or a S&P station.

My own personal thought is to delay posting of any spot until a higher
level of RUN vs S&P has been determined. On 40 meters (where I think
there was very good propagation between us) my call sign was posted
almost immediately after making my first call to a CQing station. The
logic that determines who is the RUN station was obviously fooled. I
recall that specifically happening because I was startled to see my call
sign pop up in big red letters in the Info window of N1MM Logger!

I visited DXWatch.com to look for my spots but apparently it does not
store RTTY spots. Is there a place to view the spot history online?

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN