[RTTY] RTTY RM 11708 in ARRL BOD

Charles Morrison cmorrison at lusfiber.net
Fri Jan 24 20:19:51 EST 2014

Im not one to usually buy into conspiracy theories, but while searching for
some other information today, its strange that I came across this post on
Eham from W6EM Lee.  Of course, this was about 60M channels and such, but it
seems as though the ARRL was trying to slide PACTOR into the mix elsewhere.
Its also interesting to see that the FCC really DID take into consideration
the posts from regular hams, besides the original framer of the petition.  I
hope this doesn't offend Lee:

"The FCC listended to not just ARRL, but to the Commenters as a whole, as
well. While it was disappointing that the NTIA (federal user equivalent to
the FCC) said it didn't want multiple CW/narrow data on individual channels
as many of us argued for in the interest of spectral efficiency, it did
accept the new modes. Even making it somewhat cumbersome for USB-only
federal users to decipher (or even to interrupt) ongoing amateur QSOs
involving these new modes.

Now, for the "delightful" grants not asked for by ARRL, but BECAUSE of
ARRL's parochial requests favoring Pactor III above other digital modes.

1. No Pactor Unattended Email Robots. Many of us argued that ARRL's
unfettered, unconstrained request for only the Pactor III digital mode would
make a virtual mess for all users. Automatic queries and linkages by
unattended Pactor machines might be long and difficult for federal and other
primary users to interrupt. So, no automatic, unattended "digibot" operation
will be allowed, whatever the mode.

2. Exclusivity requested by ARRL for Pactor III digital mode was DENIED by
the Commission. Instead, the Commission allowed multiple types of
wide-bandwidth digital modes, including Pactor III, so long as they meet the
emission type designator. And, of course, the narrow bandwidth digital
modes. Clearly, the excessive cost and the sole-source of modems was a
factor.

Personally, this was one of the best rulemaking products from the FCC in
recent memory. Its decisions were carefully made, employing not just the
input from the original Petitioner, but from the 42 Commenters as well."

Charlie
N5WE