[RTTY] Serial card recommendations?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Jul 6 08:22:34 EDT 2014

I have installed both a the StarTech PE2S1P (2 serial, 1 parallel port
- PCIe) and the VScom PCI-410HSP (4 serial - PCI) in Windows 7 and
Windows 8.1 with no installation issues.  The StarTech uses a MOSchip
chip set and the VScom uses an Oxford Chip set.

Newegg (www.newegg.com) has a wide variety of 2S1P, 2S and 4S cards
that should work.  The Vscom board is available from Byterunner
(www.byterunner.com).

You may want to read the specifications carefully and/or go to the
manufacturer's web site to get additional information and confirm the
particular card uses Oxford or MOSchip chipsets as those are known to
work.  Some of the newer boards chip makers may work but there is not
a lot of reliable information as yet.

You may want to check the chipset on your existing boards and go to
the chip maker's sites to get updated drivers.  I suspect your StarTech
board can be made to work with the proper driver.

Note: Windows 8/8.1 has a feature called "hybrid sleep" that stores
an image of the operating system kernel when shutting down and restores
that image (fast boot) when restarting.  That causes problems when one
installs new hardware.  To install new hardware or update drivers one
needs to perform a *restart* in order to cause Windows to load a with-
out any drivers and reload new drivers.  When installing new hardware
(either USB or bus cards), disconnect all existing USB devices then
hold the shift key while closing Windows to prevent hybrid shutdown.
Install (connect) the new hardware then start Windows and install any
necessary drivers before starting any other or connecting any other USB
devices.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV