[RTTY] The RTTY efficiency myth and SUPERFILL

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 17 12:30:26 EDT 2014

The messages when running are interesting. I normally use HISCALL 599001 001
HISCALL.

The reasoning is as follows. If I am working through a number of stations
calling then often the first call sent is covered up by a station still
calling but then the 599001 001 HISCALL is copied OK so the guy knows it is
for him. It saves me listening to nothing before deciding to repeat the
exchange. The time lost more than makes up for sending the HISCALL at start
and end for each QSO.

The key part of the exchange sent twice significantly reduces the number of
repeat requests. The extra 1 second for sending 5 extra characters (833mS)
compared to the time needed for the repeat request and retransmission of
exchange is well worth it.

The 599001 001 is also deliberate as it forces a figs shift so if the 599001
is copied in letters shift (everyone knows TOO=599) then chances are they
get the second 001 correctly without having to do mouse over etc. So the guy
comes back faster and often avoids a repeat request.

When there is no pile up and a number of CQs go by before a QSO then still
use the same as cutting it shorter makes no difference to the QSO rate. At 6
characters per second then the end HISCALL is 1 second extra on average.
Also the slightly longer TX time means you may be heard by a guy tuning
through who would not stop as he can't hear the guy you are working.

I normally end as HISCALL TU M7T QRZ. I do this as it is the last chance for
that guy to come back if I got the call wrong. But I make use of LOGTHENPOP
N1MM macro so sometimes it will be automatically HISCALL TU NOW HISCALL
599001 001 HISCALL with a new his call.

73 David G3YYD aka M7T in contests