[RTTY] ARES E-Letter for July 16, 2014

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Fri Jul 18 14:57:10 EDT 2014

Disclaimer: Not a fan of Winlink nor a proponent of RM-11708; in fact, the opposite.

You're wandering off into an intellectual swamp where virtually all amateur radio communications are noncompliant. Message traffic not in support of a declared emergency.  Phone patches (OK, almost no one does those anymore).  Every net on 80 meters every night of the week. If you're going to use a content yardstick and a strict interpretation of part 97, virtually all current amateur activity can be conducted via alternate and readily available technologies. Be careful what you wish for.

 The criticism of "enhanced" Winlink and RM-11708 in general is best distilled down to the technical and operational incompatibilities with placement in the spectrum. Wide bandwidth modes belong together, not grouped together with "similar" modulation modes.

Al
AB2ZY