[RTTY] Dealing with High-Pitched Background Noise?

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:24:05 EDT 2014

Using lower tone freqs like Bill suggests is one answer, but I usually just
turn down the volume to just the threshold where I can hear to tune. That
may sound flip but I used to keep the volume a lot higher than I needed to.
Once I started experimenting with how low I could go with it I found I
could use a lot lower volume than I thought after some practice. You may
also find after lowering the tone freqs lets you choose a lower volume than
at a higher freq.

One caveat is that the reason 2125/2295 became a "standard" is that any
mixing artifacts are outside the passband of a typical SSB transmitter.
When you go lower those artifacts start to come into the passband.
Something to check on.

Have fun! jeff wk6i