[RTTY] Dealing with High-Pitched Background Noise?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jul 25 14:54:38 EDT 2014

> One caveat is that the reason 2125/2295 became a "standard" is that
> any mixing artifacts are outside the passband of a typical SSB
> transmitter. When you go lower those artifacts start to come into the
> passband.

It's no so much mixing products as it is harmonics of the tones.

In general one should *never* use tones less than 1/3 of the transmit
bandpass (e.g. 1 KHz for a transmitter with 200 - 3000 Hz audio) to
allow the transmitter to eliminate third harmonic energy from clipping
in the audio stages.  In practice, because all distortion is not third
harmonic, it is advisable to keep the audio tones above to 1400 - 1500
Hz if possible.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV