[RTTY] QRM to W1AW/0 (MO) RTTY

David Tanks via RTTY rtty at contesting.com
Wed Jun 4 15:51:24 EDT 2014

________________________________
 From: Jay WS7I <ws7ik7tj at gmail.com>
To: rtty at contesting.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [RTTY] QRM to W1AW/0 (MO) RTTY

Suggest everyone review.  W1AW is in accordance with the FCC Rules.
Seems some have not been reading the rules.

FCC Part 97.111(b)(6)

FCC Part 97.113(d)

REPLY by David AD4TJ:

BUT:  "  Part 97.101( d ) General Standards:   No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radio communication or signal. "

Doesn't that mean then, that an automated station must have a means of checking a frequency for a signal before it begins a one-way transmission so that it doesn't WILLFULLY interfere? If it doesn't check, then it is almost an assured situation that it will interfere with an existing QSO.

From the FCC Rule Book, 8th Edition, published by the ARRL:

Chapter 6, page 6-2: Peaceful Coexistence: " The amateur frequencies, especially at MF and HF ( 160-10 meters ), tend to be congested; interference( QRM ) is just a fact of Amateur Radio life. Indeed it is a positive result of Amateur Radio growth and vitality. As such, A CARDINAL RULE OF GOOD AMATEUR PRACTICE IS TO ALWAYS LISTEN BEFORE YOU TRANSMIT ON ANY FREQUENCY. AT BEST, TRANSMITTING WITHOUT LISTENING IS A RUDE INTERRUPTION OF SOMEONE ELSE'S CONVERSATION. (    All Caps are mine ). "

Chapter 7, page 7-7: Malicious Interference, 3rd paragraph:  "  Indeed, zero QRM is an utterly unrealistic expectation in Amateur Radio. Except when it concerns emergency communications, amateur-to-amateur interference is not, in and of itself, illegal. EACH AMATEUR STATION HAS AN EQUAL RIGHT TO OPERATE; JUST BECAUSE YOU'VE USED THE SAME FREQUENCY SINCE 1947 DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE ANY MORE LEGAL RIGHT TO IT THAN THE GUY WHO GOT HIS LICENSE IN THE MAIL FIVE MINUTES AGO. THE RULES SPECIFICALLY PROHIBIT WILLFUL OR MALICIOUS INTERFERENCE. "  ( Again, all caps are mine )

So, again, if the ARRL bulletin station does not listen on the frequency before it transmits, then the chances are good that it will interfere with an ongoing conversation. The act of not listening is a willful act( in my opinion ).

Quoting again from the same rule book:

Chapter 7, page 7-9, Wilful or Malicious Interference Clause Added to Communications Act: " A 1990 measure added prohibitions against willful or malicious interference to the Communications Act of 1934. New Section 333 reads:  Sec.333: No person shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radiocommunications of any station licensed or authorized by or under this Act or operated by the United States government. "

Again, if the ARRL station does not listen on the frequency before transmitting, it is in violation of this section.

Don't get me wrong: I am an ARRL member, and support many of their activities; however, I disagree with them on some of their stands( RM 11708, dissolution of the VUCC committee, lack of interest in getting the EME contest results completed according to their own published rules, etc. ), and believe that they should follow the rules that we all have to abide by.

73, David AD4TJ