[RTTY] 2 tone vs MMTTY

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 11 20:22:15 EDT 2014

I have spent many hours comparing 2Tone and MMTTY. 2Tone is nearly always better especially on very weak signals. However, during
W1AW/5 the past week I noticed that when operating split and tuning the VFO to the next station, that MMTTY would start to print
before 2Tone. This is nearly exactly what happens when using a HAL DXP-38 vs. MMTTY while S&P in contesting. The DXP-38 would start
copying well before MMTTY when tuning onto a signal.

I had always thought this was because the DXP-38 (and now MMTTY when compared to 2Tone) had a "wider" front end. Not sure that makes
sense or not.

When tuning onto a signal, MMTTY starting printing well before 2Tone. Had it not been for this, I may have missed quite a few calls.

Just my observation.

BTW, I made 2556 RTTY contacts as W1AW/5 and it was a lot of fun. One observation is that running W1AW/5 was a lot easier than
contesting because you didn't have to catch the exchange, only the callsign. However, I tried SO2R while running split on both
radios and that is extremely hard so I only did it once. All the other times I concentrated on just one radio to make sure I got
everyone is the log.

SO2R while running split on 2 radios is like S&P on two radios in contest. It's very hard.

73, Don AA5AU