[RTTY] NC Sectional Manager, Dan Henderson, N4DSP and 11708

n4dsp n4dsp at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 07:30:31 EDT 2014

Hello.
Staying clear of ARRL politics due to the futile nature of the beast and
trying to find info on the ARRL website which is
on par with navigating the ObamaCare website was the reason for
contacting the NC Section Manager. Karl Bowman, W4CHX,
the newly elected or appointed ARRL North Carolina Section Manager.
There is a constant on/off carrier on the
QRP Freq for 40 mtrs 7.040khz and contact with the OO Coordinator for NC
was required.

Seeking this information from Karl Bowman he asked if I was a member of
the ARRL and replying in the negative stating
I don't agree with their policies namely the 2006 Regulation by
Bandwidth proposal to the FCC and the resurrection
of this with RM-11708. Karl seemed unaware of the details of 11708.
Informing him the bandwidth would be 2.6khz,
in the cw and digital portions of the bands, due to the speed of the
data transmission Karl stated speed had nothing
to do with the bandwidth and expressed doubt what I had told him. He was
not aware what the bandwidth would be
changing the subject multiple times to stay clear of any discussion
contrary to ARRL Policy and pushed the benefits of
ARRL membership so I can stay informed what the ARRL is doing for me.

Karl Bowman comes across to me as a conscientious and well meaning
person but what troubles me is the
lack of knowledge and understanding he exhibits and a total follower of
ARRL policies at a time
when leadership is needed to stand up against these policies which any
experienced educated operator
knows the outcome if passed by the FCC.

The following day I left a voicemail for Chuck Skolaut at the ARRL to
seek info on RM-11708 to send to W4CHX, Karl.
Couple of hours later Dan Henderson, N1ND, called me. Judging by the
tone and manner of his voice this was not going
to be a pleasant call. Dan asked if I had read the info on the ARRL
website about 11708. The ARRL like crafty politicians
in Washington DC cloaks information in their reports to their
membership. Listening to Dan putting me on the defense
with three quick questions is an art highly developed in Newington.
Informing him the person who called with questions
was me I asked about 11708 and the bandwidth on the cw, digital
portions. Dan stated it will be like the 60 meter band.
Hmmmm, like the 60 meter band. Now there is a cloaked answer. I know
nothing about 60 meters since it is a channeled
band like CB championed by Dave Sumner and have no interest at all with
operating it.

To get an answer from Dan I had to push hard many times asking if ALL
THE BANDS will be affected by 11708 with these
robotic devices running at 2.6khz and he finally stated yes and he also
stated this is good since there is no protection
for cw and digital operators by bandwidth so this proposal would do just
that, give us protection. Go figure that one out.

Dan further stated he has nothing to do with this proposal it being The
Board's decision. Asking Dan what is his opinion
on 11708 he stated he did not know me well enough to tell me, if that
makes any sense.

According to Dan's Bio on qrz
he states he doesn't "spend much of my free time pursuing amateur radio
interests much these days" and that is one of
the many problems. We have people who support 11708 who don't even
operate, or are not cw or digital operators and
they are trying to implement rules and regulations for all to follow at
the expense of our great hobby. The Elites know
better than us. Sounds like the Elites in Washington ramming ObamaCare
down our throats and destroying the Health
Care in the United States but in this case it will destroy cw and
digital so they  can send encrypted emails to and from
their sailboats. Seems to US that the ANTI-CW crowd is still at it.
Someone or Some People are getting their palms
greased with Big Money to push this through and it's all at OUR expense.

John Shea/ N4DSP
Liberty, NC