[RTTY] NC Sectional Manager, Dan Henderson, N4DSP and 11708

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Thu Jun 19 12:45:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:30 AM, n4dsp <n4dsp at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> Staying clear of ARRL politics due to the futile nature of the beast and
> trying to find info on the ARRL website which is
> on par with navigating the ObamaCare website was the reason for contacting

I actually went through the process on healthcare.gov, the exchange
set up for people in states that refused to set up their own exchange,
but stopped when clicking the "next" button had a warning about
committing a felony.  Since I actually get health coverage through my
employer, I stopped.  :-)  This was before you could find rates
without creating an account (which would be the same as what I pay now
... except that now, my employer pays as much as I do.  I expect
changes this fall.)

I find the ARRL site worse.

It's clear that the folks at HQ can't display any information as a web
page because almost everything is a PDF that you have to download.  If
they do manage to post something that isn't PDF, any images end up
corralled at the bottom of a piece instead of illustrating the story.
Really, really bad.  And it cost money!!  They'd have been FAR better
off with an open source CMS (Drupal or something) and a Word Press
site, both of which are free (the software is free, someone still has
to maintain it).

And don't get me started about LOTW ... which, admittedly is much
better than it was 1-1.5 years ago, thanks to a posse of knowledgeable
members.

> they  can send encrypted emails to and from
> their sailboats. Seems to US that the ANTI-CW crowd is still at it. Someone
> or Some People are getting their palms
> greased with Big Money to push this through and it's all at OUR expense.

I'm not sure it's anti-CW as much as it is pro-sailor.  As someone
posted the other week, we all should have seen this coming a few years
ago when the PTB in Newington signed an MOU with the US Power Squadron
that talked about "developing products" for the boaters.  Big red flag
in retrospect.  Pity the ARRL books are unavailable to members.

And yes, I'm a Life Member