[RTTY] MMTTY, permanently disable AFC

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Wed Jun 18 13:32:22 EDT 2014

Hi Tim

I find pretty much the same thing you mention here about AFC.

I think it would be a good think if it worked right, but for some
reason, I find if I check the 'AFC off/on with CQ' box, it sometimes
turns itself on, but doesn't turn off. when I go to S&P.  Then I find
myself calling stations and them not coming back because I'm off
frequency.  Then I have to hit the 'Ham' button to get back to normal again.

If would turn itself on when CQ'ing and turn off when S&P, it would be a
good feature.

I find it best just to leave the 'off/on' button unchecked.  Ed had a
good hint about going to MMTTY and setting AFC=0 in the usarpara.ini
file.  73
Tom W7WHY

------------------------------------------------------***********************--------------------------------------------------

Tim Shoppa wrote:

I think you work your VFO knob differently than I do. My ears and the
computer are set to standard 2125Hz frequency. Tuning aids like the
waterfall and especially the MMTTY X-Y scope are incredibly useful with
AFC off, I can tell from the tilt of the X-Y exactly what fractional
revolution I have to turn the VFO knob.

Tuning in to last partial letters of a call and completing the Q in a
sprint, tuning is simply not a problem. All the above is true, until AFC
accidentally gets turned on. Next thing I know I am hearing the right
tones but seeing nothing on the X-Y scope. MMTTY has wandered off into
hyperspace and it has decided to "correct" center frequency, way out of
my receiver's passband.

I will see if some of the suggestions offered here make it usable, plan
to try them in Thursday night sprint. I find MMTTY AFC to be very
counterproductive to tuning in a RTTY signal "right". MMTTY decides to
start wandering the center frequency and next thing I know the X-Y scope
is no longer centered on standard 2125Hz but is hundreds of Hz off, and
all the coordination between my eyes, ears, and fingers on the VFO knob
goes right out the window.

This is very disconcerting. 2Tone's "rubber band" AFC and waterfall
always showing pips for the ideal frequency, seems a little closer to
how I work. Tim N3QE