[RTTY] Field Day 2014

Eric Mynes kc8wzb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:25:00 EDT 2014

FB, Dick.

I did FD too.  I ran the biggest part of the 24 hours on Digital modes
(PSK31 and RTTY).  We logged 80 contacts, but we were QRP on battery power.
 I did find that most of our contacts came from 40m after night fall.

I spent some time thinking the same thoughts.  With digital contacts worth
2 and the growth in popularity, could a group only run digital modes and
win?

I kind of suck at CW.  That is why I started running digital modes.  I have
an extremely modest station and yet I have been able to run with the big
DXers in the area when it comes to making contacts and they are running on
beams with amplifiers.  I use a wire dipole in the attic with 100w max to
warm the air. hi hi.

I'm going to start now building a setup/team for next years field day and
try the all digital one to see if we could win.  It would be a fun exercise
of the mind and the spirit of the hobby.

73,
Eric
k8ohz

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Dick White <whiter26 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Since I was unable to participate in my clubs FD event, I worked RTTY only
> as 1D  MO from home. FD is usually a fun event with a contest attached. I
> found some interesting replies to my S&P call. Below are some I copied that
> made me smile.
>
> 1: the usual "PSE COPY" was present and expected
>
> 2:  KXXX KXXX 3A 3A XX XX QSL ?? DE KXXX"
>
> 3: "KS0M WE ARE 3A XX 3A XX 3A XX TNX QSO ES GL FD DE KXXX"
>
> 4: KS0M WE ARE 2A XX WHAT IS YOUR CLASS AND SECTION ???"
>

> No offence to anyone, but in a regular contest  I would expect some
> complaints. It was not a problem for FD operation. In 3 hours plus, I only
> logged 77 contacts. Just not many RTTY stations during FD even if they
> count
> double points (as does CW).
>
> 73  Dick  KS0M
>

> "After the game,the King and the Pawn go into the same box."   (Italian
> Proverb)
>
> Richard C. (Dick) White
>
> Fulton, MO. 65251  U.S.A.
>
> Amateur Radio Station  KS0M

A wise man once said nothing.  -- Anonymous

Don't dream it, be it.  -- Dr. Frank N. Futer