[RTTY] Field Day 2014

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Mon Jun 30 15:36:36 EDT 2014

This was my fourth Field Day; I operated from home because work needed me to stay close to the phone and internet.

I don't know whether it was because I was operating from home with a potentially better antenna, or because of a trend...but it seemed like there was more RTTY activity this year.   I was able to run RTTY for a while and generate a steady flow of contacts when I wanted to take a break from CW...and that's something I haven't been able to do in past Field Days.

I also played with PSK a bit more than in past years, but that's more a reflection of having more operating time, and not having to listen to one club member's periodic tirade against PSK.  (PSK isn't my thing either, but it was an interesting change of pace, and one of the themes of Field Day is supposed to be trying new/different things.)

Someone in 1 land is probably not in the best position to talk about winning any domestic contest or quasi-contest.  However, my impression is that it'd be very difficult on Field Day to generate enough rate using PSK due to the nature of the mode, and the activity level just isn't there to sustain rate on RTTY, to make digital competitive versus CW.

In my past FD club operations, I think I determined that with the usual setup there, it was more effective on a points-per-minute basis to S&P phone than to run RTTY.  Most of the time  I ran RTTY at those FD outings, it was because I was "digital guy" and we had some muggles visiting our pavilion whom we thought would get a kick out of hearing the radio diddle.

I'd bet that under certain circumstances, especially QRP, it would be more advantageous score-wise to focus on PSK over phone.

And from a Centennial QSO Party perspective, I picked up enough new/different point-laden callsigns from my stints poking around 14.070 that I resolved to go fishing there a few more times before the end of the year.

(I realize that FD isn't a contest...but I can't hear talk about "points"  without wondering "how can I get more?")

Michael Adams | N1EN | mda at n1en.org