[RTTY] NA RTTY Sprint Operating Practices

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Sun Mar 9 19:04:46 EDT 2014

As several have mentioned, here and in their 3830 Scores reports, there were
an abnormally high number of "odd" exchanges and other operating techniques
used in yesterday's RTTY Sprint.

That's good news, folks!  It means there were a higher number of new
Sprinters joining in the fun.  That's exactly what is needed for this short
event to be even more fun.  Whatever we do in response, let's be sure these
folks feel fully welcome and not put off by any of our criticism.  We want
them and more like them to come back next time.

First, the best way to influence others to "do it our way" is to be sure our
own operating practices are exemplary and serve as a good example for them
to follow.

Second, we could view these abnormities as, "Gee, that's an interesting way
to do that!" and then take on the challenge to customize our response in the
Sprint to accommodate their "transgressions".  (One point of view is that
this makes the contest more fun because there is a greater element of
uncertainty for us to adapt our own operating to.  And, perhaps the accepted
norm is "boring" or too easy since we know what to expect!)

Also, before we get too certain about the "proper way" to conduct a Sprint
QSO, it is useful to review the rules, particularly ...

7. Exchange: To have a valid exchange, you must send all of
the following information: The other station's call sign, your call
sign, your serial number, your name and your location (state,
province, or country). You may send this information in any order.
For example:
N6TR DE K7GM 154 RICK NC K
K7GM NR 122 TREE OR DE N6TR K

Note that rules explicitly say the exchange information can be sent in any
order.  Note also that there is no rule about how best to end a QSO.  Yes,
the two example exchanges happen to be the accepted norm among experienced
Sprinters, but it is not even suggested that they "should be" used.

As for the occasional infraction of the QSY rule in various ways, this is
just a result of participants not yet familiar with the format.  And, it can
sometimes happen with very experienced Sprinters when they get distracted
with something else.  A common occurrence is tuning around for the next QSO
and inadvertently tuning right back to the same frequency, or within 1 kHz
of the last QSO, especially if it takes a long time to find the next QSO.

So, I think we had a great RTTY Sprint yesterday and hope we can keep up the
momentum.

73,
Ed W0YK