[RTTY] RM-11708 Vision of the future

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Fri Mar 14 14:45:05 EDT 2014

Jay, to answer your queries  ...
Why is this necessary?
Today's rules do not regulate bandwidth, you can use much more than 100 kHz
legally (the whole CW/data segment) as long as the symbol rate is less than 300
baud. Foolish but not illegal. [doom and gloom!]. Exception: FSK RTTY (only) is
restricted to 1500 Hz BW.

The rules are outdated because the attempt to limit signaling BW by limiting
tone shift (1 kHz) and baud rate (300 Hz). That limits ONLY FSK RTTY to 1500 Hz.
Modern digital signals are not always "tone-shift" systems, thus their
bandwdiths are not limited at all, but their symbol rates are! Thus the rules
are out of date. Written many decades ago, they did not anticipate modern
digital signaling.

RM-11708 does not "deregulate" but rather REGULATES a maximum limit of 2.8 kHz
BW WHERE THERE IS NO LIMIT TODAY. [bright spot!]

Experimentation?
That 300 baud limit DOES hamper experimentation. Search the RM-11708 replies for
N4II's comments. An important MF/HF propagation experiment is stopped dead in
its track because of that archaic outdated 300 baud limit. [Gloom!]. That
experiment seeks to measure propagation time-of-flight to within a millisecond
to discover MY/HF propagation modes - that requires a symbol rate of at least 1
kHz (and about 2 kHz BW).

Why 2.8 kHz?
The ARRL answer is that 2.8 kHz is already permitted in the channelized bands
(weak argument, I think), but in any case the FCC will not make it any smaller
than about 2.4 kHz because of their policy to NOT exclude current users of the
spectrum. Current users use 2.2 kHz to 2.4 kHz.

RM-11708 effect of amateur-RTTY: NONE (or positive, it will keep the wide data
modes away, see next item).

It's 2014 and you don't have to wait for that $100 Chinese HF transceiver (which
might  be limited to 2.8 kHz max by RM-11708). PACTOR-4 is not the problem.
Today you can legally use Icom's D-STAR at HF in data mode (data only, not voice
mode) in the CW/data spectrum. D-STAR BW is 6 kHz.
Let me repeat that SIX KILOHERTZ. (D-STAR is meant for digital voice but carries
a data channel as well, and it has already appeared in the HF voice bands).
[Doom and Gloom].

RM-11708 will prevent use of D-STAR's 6 kHz wide data mode (and similar systems)
in the CW/data sub-bands. [Bright spot].

Read the actual proposal (the proposed changes to the rules on the last two
pages fro example), not the hype.

73 [and may there be only bright spots in your future]
Kai, KE4PT