[RTTY] Response to ARRL request for inputs for new Band Plan

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 13:20:05 EDT 2014

On Mar 16, 2014, at 9:56 AM, Terry wrote:

> Perhaps there will be some great RTTY like modes
> that come out of the new unregulated experiments.  If something positive is
> developed, it can be let out of the experimental sub-band (sandbox) and
> allowed into the main stream RTTY sub band.

I am not sure that the old rules has *ever* impeded the development of more innovative keyboard-to-keyboard modes.

A good example is DominoEX, which automatically tunes as fast as the best RTTY operator, and has similar latency once you turn FEC off, plus it prints better than RTTY at the same SNR.

IMHO, there has never been a lack of experimentation, even with improving RTTY itself -- what do you think fldigi and 2Tone are, they certainly are not copying how old analog modems did things.

IMHO again, there is just a lack of interest for the general user population to move to something new.

500 Hz bandwidth is plenty to experiment with (you can already take advantage of HF selective fading with just 150 Hz) as long as you do not also want to transmit over 100 WPM.   As it is, I don't have enough hours in a day to play to my heart's content even when I cam confined to 500 Hz.

What is the extra bandwidth for?  Higher data throughputs.  When you ask who needs wider bandwidths, you need look no further than those who have a vested interest in faster data transmissions.  Certainly not needed for person-to-person amateur activity.

73
Chen, W7AY