[RTTY] Response to ARRL request for inputs for new Band Plan

Wa3frp wa3frp at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 14:00:02 EDT 2014

Terry,

This is a very good idea and I support it.

Please consider the proliferation of beacons -  outside of the NCDXF HF beacons which are coordinated and use minimal bandwidth. Please also see the article in February 2014 QST, A 10 Meter Beacon Transmitter.  I am not sure why ARRL is encouraging more beacons in the HF space.

Also, please address the ARRL Morse Code Transmissions on 3.5815 which, along with the ARRL Digital transmissions on 3.5975, both fall into the ARRL band plan for RTTY.  When I asked ARRL about this a while ago, the ARRL reply answer was:

"... When the band was reallocated a few years back, I had in fact put in a concerted effort to find a new frequency.  I enlisted the assistance of a few hams - both local and out of state - to monitor prospects.  I also worked with some members of the NTS community to locate clear areas.  Unfortunately, it was extremely difficult to find a new one.  (At the time, the NTS community had the same problem.)  We found that there were little - to no - segments free to where W1AW can QSY.  Clearly, had we moved we would have interfered with some *pre-existing* net, or calling frequency, or meeting spot, etc.

W1AW has operated on 3581.5 KHz for its CW transmissions for more than a few decades.  Because we have an established presence here - and since there was little free area available - we were left with little choice but to stay here.  Since CW is allowed here - CW is allowed pretty much across most of the entire amateur spectrum - and given the issues stated above, it put to rest the option of changing frequency.

On this note, I would like to point out that we don't claim to "own" this frequency, any more than any others should claim to own the frequencies they use..."

Thanks and 73,

Russ - WA3FRP
 wa3frp at aol.com

1.       A few  submit band plans that are useful but are not 100 percent
aligned.  A lot of folks want to get involved but just don't have time or
possibly technical /writing experience to get involved.

2.       We organize, form a committee of recognized RTTY operators and
develop a plan.    That plan is published in one week just in time for folks
who are busy to simply send a email to the band plan committee saying "I
agree with the band plan inputs provided by the " RTTY Spectral Defense Band
Plan Committee".     They can also add in personal comments as well but
having 'a plan" shows we are serious and aligned.  It also saves the band
plan committee sorting thru a bunch of non-aligned plans.