[RTTY] QST article about Win XP

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 22 15:15:21 EDT 2014

For what it's worth:  I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3647 from
Best Buy for $299. It comes with Windows 8.1 64 bit installed, but no
com ports. I installed a com port card with two ports which allows me to
do RTTY PTT and FSK and rotator control. I also purchased two USB to
serial adapter cables which allows me to do rig control and WinKey.
There were no compatibility issues at all. I run the DXLab suite and
N1MM Logger with no problems.

Also, Win8.1 has a "compatibility mode" which allows me to run an old XP
journal program which initially gave an error message when I tried to
install it, saying it would not run on this version of Windows. Using
the compatibility
  mode, it runs fine on 8.1.

I agree Windows 8.1 has a much different look and feel from previous
versions, but once I got used to it, I actually prefer it. Frankly, I
think Microsoft has done a very poor job of promoting and explaining
8.1. At first, like many people, I hated it but I stuck with it and came
to appreciate it's virtues. It really is better once you learn it.

Not trying to push any product or dealer, just letting you know what's
available for not much money.

By the way, the Dell computer comes with a lot of software installed
which you probably don't want or need. Just uninstall them one by one.
No problem. And DO create a rescue disk as is recommended.

The usual disclaimers apply. No commercial connection with any of the
above.

73, Bill W6WRT