[RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Tue Mar 25 16:54:41 EDT 2014

I have to agree with Tom, W7WHY regarding 160m operation. But as Bill,
W6WRT mentioned, it might be better to start off as a single-band event.

The Minnesota Wireless Association has an internal three-team
competition each contest season. One of the 11 contests where members
accumulate team scores is the ARRL 160 meter contest. "Team Hennepin" is
basically the areas surrounding the metropolitan area of Minneapolis, St
Paul, and suburbs, generically know as "The Twin Cities". As you might
imagine, these contesters are pretty much 'city lot' stations with the
usual space limitations.

The last two seasons, Team Hennepin has posted the second highest score
in the club during the ARRL 160 meter contest. They load up rain
gutters, 80 meter dipoles as Tom suggested, or virtually anything that
will conduct electricity! After the contest the reflector is buzzing
with stories that they had no idea they could make contacts on 160
meters with such a poor antenna. The main theme is that they had fun and
learned a few things along the way, trying a new band they may have not
operated before.

Personally I have not pursued RTTY / Digital activity on 160m. I have a
few states confirmed. I certainly would jump into a contest to expand my
numbers and go for 160m Digital WAS if an organized event was created.
With the tipsy situation with CQ at the moment, I don't know that they
would have the resources to take on another event. But certainly
something could be started by a small group of individuals... try it for
a couple years... and if it catches on, offer it to a 'real' contest
management team. That's pretty much how the High Speed RTTY contest was
launched and is now managed by BARTG.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN