[RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 25 18:24:48 EDT 2014

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 3/25/2014 9:45 AM, Tom Osborne wrote:

> I'd have to disagree on that one.  If someone wants to get an antenna
> for 160, they can do it.  I have seen designs for 160 antennas that
> are only 33 feet tall.  One was in NCJ not too long ago using one of
> those 33 foot telescoping fiberglass masts..

REPLY:

Yes, one can put up something that will radiate,but I think it will be
less than satisfactory and one's interest in 160 will fade pretty fast.
160 is a difficult band even with good antennas (full size dipole) but
it does have a certain charm of its own.

Here I have a full size inverted vee with the apex at 70 feet. Works
pretty well, but it's not a four-square or Beverage and i hear other
California stations working DX I can't even hear. I've never even heard
a European for example, but I have fun anyway. I do think however, that
if I had only a shorty vertical with skimpy radials I would have given
it up long ago.

To each his own.

73, Bill W6WRT