[RTTY] Hardes RTTY Station to Work - EVER

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Sat May 17 14:12:12 EDT 2014

What Ron said. I ran RTTY at W1AW/7 NV and I used a P3 to watch the pileup,
at peaks I had a solid wall of callers 5KHz plus wide. I only used "UP" and
never said how far. Tailending worked only if you were strong enough to
beat the other three stations trying the same thing. I'd say less than 5%
of contacts were tailends.

Usually I just used the P3 to try and spot someone that seemed to be in the
clear. That worked most of the time but often enough I'd tune them in and
BAM, some new caller would pounce right on them and I'd have to go looking
again.

When I started on a band almost everyone would be zero beat exactly 1KHz up
so I would try and pick up the stations a little bit higher. A few of those
and I could start to spread them out. Because I had the P3 I could stay
away from the smear in the middle and work the edges, which would tend to
part the smear in the middle and I could pounce on some of those in the
gap. If the pileup moved too high I'd move back to working the low edge to
bring everyone down again.

So I'd say your best bet is to not tailend and to look for a clear spot
some random non-integral distance up, stay away from 1, 2, 3, 4KHz up
because that's what everyone else is doing. Find a clear spot, get past the
edges.

Hope this helps - jeff wk6i