[RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato iw1ayd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:32:19 EDT 2014

Hi all.
It's really an interesting subject. Just to say I user a gamer keypad -
USB - , a portable USB keyboard with a two port USB HUB and a trackball.
But over it all I use N1MM, both Classic and Plus, logger. That's the
weapons chassis where I mount and use the others things I'd just
described. Macros and automation functions of N1MM Logger are a bed to
be programmed, configured and used simply with just some auto learning
hours.
The logger and the level of automation and reporting of the logger is
one of the keys.
Right Click + not return, macros for radio filters commands, radio PO
control are easy to use and under control even when tired. I also use a
lot the automated LOGTHENPOP, storing calls into the band map. I use it
FIFO, I prefer it over LOGTHENGRAB or the pure GRAB functions. More
control by the operator, me and my gestures.
The main use for the gamer keyboard is to simulate the more complex
CTRL-x running SO2R. Having another escape, some of the F1 to F12
functions, ALT-R and CTRL-B. Those last are the most reachable, nearest
to the rest position of the hand.
It is positioned under the left hand.
The main keyboard itself is used for those elusive calls ... on 3
decoding windows it happened to have UT on one and EPP on another! The I
type UT5EPP ;-> Or just pushing some ? with UT asking his call on air ...
The main use of the keyboard is anyway the ESC key to stop single radio
CQ, even when SO2Roaring
The trackball is the other key that stay well positioned under the right
hand, even when I leave it to type dual hands on the main kbd.
I would not be able to use the standard mouse or a multifunction gamer
mouse. Not easy for my coordination level to use the same fingers to do
different things, my fault. After all also I don't like a mouse that
move, lack of desk real estate, lack of blind finding ability gestures.
More easy to have a steady trackball. I also moved one of these at work!

The whole thing is aimed to have short leg movements, maximize fingers
commands, short retrieval time for the tools on the desk, well known
macro names-positions and almost all the time my focus on the screen
where action is. Leaving space to attentions to rotors, PAs and other
things to be checked over time.
In between those two items sets there are other logger windows,
statistics, multipliers/cluster, bands maps. Those are all on the screen
but are secondary to incoming data from the decoders. Timingly they
becomes primary targets of my focus, when statistics numbers becomes
low, when cluster/multipliers list blimp over a low rate. Also remember
that all is split by two when attempting to do SO2R.

That's my short experience. I like operate the whole setup and I find
myself working almost flawlessly even when fatigued after hours and
hours of contesting. I am not a fast operator, but I like this game.
Typing is not part of it if not just to enter elusive call signs or save
my errors when 599 become 15. The PC keyboard is not for typing when
RTTY Contesting, today, isn't?

           73 de iw1ayd Salvo

PS ... still in need of MMTTY as the primary window, that's for it
automated unique logging capabilities of the incoming and outgoing text.
I like to rewind and look at my errors, friends messages or whatever
else was going on on the screen.