[RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:47:06 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Roughly what fraction of RTTY contesters prefer to never take their hands
> off the keyboard and to type the callsign of the caller (or maybe use the
> "grab" function via keybaord)?
>
> What fraction really prefers point-and-click to grab calls?

I point and click.

I know there are call grabbing functions in the loggers, but I've got
multiple windows open and frankly I can't trust the grab in the face of
QRM, fading, and missing trailing spaces. For example in one window I might
see:

N3QT N3QE

and the other

N3QE N3QE

That makes it pretty clear to me what the correct call is, but what will
the grabber grab? I would rather point at THAT ONE and click and be sure.

And when a call is not clickable (like no trailing space) better grab that
keyboard.

Also, especially in the WW this past weekend, there are a LOT of stations
that seems to assume that you have your mouse pointer hovering directly
over the printing text at all times, ready to click and hit send in 0.7
seconds or less. Certainly not enough time to type in a call!

have fun! 73 jeff wk6i

ps: I have the DE function turned off, just FYI.

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com