[RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Sun Apr 5 14:01:51 EDT 2015

The "robot" only checks a Cabrillo file for obvious formatting errors.  It
does not check for busted calls, busted exchanges or NILs.  It checks that
the contest dates and times are correct, that the mode is correct, that the
QSO: lines have the proper information in the proper order, etc.  The robot
automatically reports back to the submitter about these Cabrillo format
errors and encourages correction and resubmittal.  This ultimately saves
effort in the subsequent log checking process.  There is a different robot
email address for each contest so that the format checking is contest
specific.

An entirely different and separate software system checks the logs for
content accuracy: making sure QSO times/bands match up, cross-checking
exchanges, band change violations, etc.  The final results from this
log-checking are reported by the contest sponsor online and/or in their
print publication.  Individuals can get a LCR (Log Check Report) detailing
every error found by the log check software.  This is a great tool to
examine one's operating skill.  Perfect accuracy, i.e., no log check errors,
isn't necessarily the best goal.  There is a trade-off between speed and
accuracy and over-attention on accuracy may actually decrease overall score.

Ed W0YK

Bill W6WRT wrote:

I once watched a novice contester (who shall remain nameless) operate
a RTTY contest. I was appalled at how careless he was at copying call
signs into his log. I would guess half his call signs were busted.

As far as I know he never operated another RTTY contest.

The robot that Phil despises so much would have tossed his log out, as
well it should. In other words, the robot forces  accurate logging.

I love the robot.