[RTTY] BARTG HF 2015 Prelim results Revision #3

Simone Wilson m0box at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 10 19:58:04 EDT 2015

CQ diddlers,

http://tinyurl.com/opezrbn

Thanks to the help of those who have given me feedback on their UBN data, I
have now released revision #3 of the preliminary results.

I stress these results are direct from the automatic adjudication process
and NO manual adjudication has taken place.

These results are NOT FINAL. They can and will change. The main area that
requires my attention and that no automatic rules based programme can
perform is the analysis of the data for which there is no supporting
evidence. In other words where a log containing a matching log has not been
received. The programme creates these logs from the data in the submitted
logs, and it becomes quickly apparent where there is a fault.

So you have a view on the task ahead of me, there were 746 entrants and they
submitted a total of 134384 claimed QSOs of which 80248 QSOs are
unverifiable from submitted logs. Whilst I will not be seeking verification
of close on 60% of the claimed contacts, I will be using analysis techniques
to expose errors. Typically these are where a claimed contact serial number
is out of sequence with other claimed contacts. Honestly these stand out a
mile, and allows me to focus my efforts accordingly. The other area I will
examine is the unverified call signs. Usually these have serial numbers of
significant value but are unique. Often these are a result of a mis-copied
call sign. And once again with a little sorting soon reveal what should have
been logged. These will then be DQd.

All manual adjudications will have a reason given why they are DQd. They
will not go into detail, but will give the reason why. Typical reasons are
"RX serial sequence error" and "Call sign error suspected - Serial too high
for unique" - These two are the most common. In the area where QSOs are
matched, where both sides of the QSO are invalid, I will check the reasons
as often this is because the automatic rules cannot determine the right
outcome, only a human can do so.

So I hope you will appreciate that this is quite a task that I (and all who
do this for your benefit) face. I do it for the love of this hobby, I do it
because I entered contests myself. All contests are only possible because of
the efforts of the various society's and their band of dedicated volunteers.
They wish to put back into the hobby to keep it vibrant and alive for the
pleasure of current and future generations of radio enthusiasts.

To close, I am able and willing to hold an online seminar using video
streaming techniques that I use in my other passion, online gaming. If you
would like me to show you how such a major international contest is
adjudicated, then please do say so. It will be a pleasure to show you what
we do, and the tools we employ to produce results at a speed and accuracy
that was once only dreamed of.

73 de Simone. M0BOX

BARTG Contest Manageress