[RTTY] IC-7100 followup

Mark k5xhrtty at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:16:09 EST 2015

My thanks to N1EN and N8BU for getting me on the right track. I was able
to get most of it working. I never could get the audio from MMTTY into
the 7100 but I did get FSK working . My intent was to use the 7100 as a
second radio in an attempt to try SO2R. I was able to do that during the
WPX contest this weekend - in a small way.

My set up consists of a Flex FT5000 as radio 1 with both MMTTY and 2Tone
decode windows in N1MM+. VAC is used.
Second radio is the IC-7100, also with both MMTTY and 2Tone decoders.
The SiliconLabs CODEX used.
Computer is an i7 running W7 64.

I noticed that the decoded text with the Flex was much better than with
the Icom. It seems that the audio that the ICOM is providing via their
CODEX is not up to the same quality as what comes from the Flex (via
VAC). I tinkered with the audio settings in the computer's control panel
and noticed that it was basically all or nothing. With the output set to
zero it really is zero. But there is little observable difference with a
setting of 1 or greater. The copy did seem to get worse when set to
higher numbers. I have both MMTTYs displaying the cross pattern. The
pattern on the ICOM side doesn't look as crisp as the Flex side. It has
a lot more "speckles" scattered around the pattern.

As an experiment I had the ICOM on my 20M yagi and the Flex on my 80M
dipole. I tuned to the same signal on 20M. The copy from the Flex was
about 95% and the copy on the ICOM was about 40% even through the
signal  strength on the Flex was much lower. 2Tone seemed to fair a bit
better but still not as good as the Flex.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve the copy while using
the ICOM CODEX audio?

Mark
K5Xh