[RTTY] FTDI USB Adapter?

Scott Schultz schultz0530 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:04:27 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: KC4HW/Jim
Subject: [RTTY] FTDI USB Adapter?

Trying to help my brother with a new computer Win 8.1 and USB 2.0
ports to find the correct adapter to allow for Yaesu Rig Control and
RTTY/CW via a W3YY interface.

Does this look like the right adapter?
First of all, I use the W3YY interface. Not many things get a 5 out of 5 on
eHam, but this one really deserves it.

You don't say if your brother's new computer is a laptop or a desktop. If it
is a laptop, you really don't have much choice other than to use a
USB-to-serial adapter.

But if it is a desktop, my advice (which is worth exactly what it cost you -
$0.00) is to buy a dual port serial card for the computer. I bought mine
from NewEgg and it was $12 and change... with free shipping... from China! I
also run 8.1 and there are absolutely no driver issues. It was a bit of a
PITA installing the drivers since you have to load the driver for the card
itself then load the driver for each one of the ports, but once it is done,
you will never have to touch it again.

You will still need serial cables, but I had plenty of "sacrificial" cables
in my junque box from the pre-USB days.

Good luck!

73,
de Scott NØIU