[RTTY] North American QSO Party, RTTY

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Mon Jul 13 12:26:31 EDT 2015

There had been some talk in the past about allowing the use of
amplifiers in the NAQP RTTY test since lots of radios can't run 100
watts key down for long periods of time.

I know my TS-450's won't run 100 watts continuously on RTTY so I have
the choice of running higher power and take a chance of frying the radio
or doing what the manual says and run 40 - 45 watts.  Yeah I know - buy
new radios.  Not gonna happen :-)

With all the 200 and 400 watt radios out there, this rule seems moot.
Is someone with a 200 or 400 watt radio less likely to cheat than
someone with an amp set to 100 watts?  Just curious about the rationale
for the rule.  73
Tom W7WHY