[RTTY] Contester preference - 1- versus 2-decimal-place spots

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Oct 13 21:44:13 EDT 2015

I'm doing some analysis of RTTY spots made by RBN nodes reporting 2
decimal place frequencies.  Some of them I know to be using GPS
disciplined oscillators, while others aren't.  The GPSDO stations
generally agree within 10 Hz, and are probably better than that because
of rounding errors.  The others are surprisingly good, almost always
within the +/- 0.1 KHz we seek generally from RBN nodes.

My questions:  Do assisted RTTY contesters like to get 2-decimal spots?
Or are they so used to 1-decimal spots that they automatically joggle
tuning to get on the proper mark and space frequencies?

And... are inaccurate 2-decimal spots (still within +/-1-decimal
tolerance) worse than 1-decimal, or essentially the same from an
operational perspective?

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check