[RTTY] AL-80B Or KPA500 for RTTY Contesting

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Aug 4 19:48:21 EDT 2016

Actually the Elecraft KPA500 will work fine into a 2:1 SWR, especially at
the 400 watt level that the W4HM prefers.  The KAT500 is a very nice
matching automatic antenna tuner that works very well with the amp and it
also provides four autoswitching antenna outputs. The Elecraft KPA500 is
completely different than the Ameritron AL-80B. One is a well designed
automatic solid state amplifier with amazing support and one is a MFJ made
manual tune tube amplifier. I certainly would not limit myself to just these
two choices.

John KK9A