[RTTY] AL-80B Or KPA500 for RTTY Contesting

Gordon LaPoint gordon.lapoint at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:26:01 EDT 2016

Thomas,
      I used an AL-80 for many years for RTTY contesting (at 500 watts)
and was happy with it.  I then upgraded my station to an Elecraft K3
with KPA500 several years ago.  I also have made many thousands of RTTY
contest contacts with that combo (at 500 watts).  I have not had a
problem with either setup and now have over 50K rtty contacts in the
log.  The KPA-500 is fully automatic with band changes, even without an
interface to the radio, just RF.  I would recommend the KPA-500 after
using both.

Gordon - N1MGO

n 08/04/2016 02:32 PM, Thomas F. Giella W4HM wrote:
> I continue to upgrade my hamateur radio station for the upcoming
> winter RTTY contest season. Recently I sold my Icom IC-756 Pro 3 which
> had served me well for allot of years and purchased a new Icom
> IC-7600. I also have a new Icom IC-7410 that will also be put to use
> as part of a SO2R set up.
>
> I am now contemplating a new linear amplifier. I have been running the
> Ameritron AL-811H for quite a few years. I'm contemplating either a
> new Ameritron AL-80B or an Elecraft KPA500 for reliable output on high
> duty RTTY contesting. I usually use 400 watts max for RTTY contests
> and it's always been a very effective.
>
> Any comments on the two amplifiers especially their duty cycle
> stoutness would be much appreciated.
>
> 73 & GUD DX,
> Thomas F. Giella W4HM
> Lakeland, FL, USA