[RTTY] Pactor QRM To The Other Digital Modes

Jim Rhodes jim at rhodesend.net
Wed Aug 17 15:15:10 EDT 2016

Phil, that defines rude and selfish for me.

On Aug 17, 2016 11:07 AM, "Phil Sussman" <psussman at pactor.com> wrote:

> I agree with most of what Thomas says; however, as a Pactor operator
myself and
> a long time user I do disagree with one aspect.
>
> Pactor operators as a whole are not rude nor selfish. Instead it's the
owners of
> auto mailboxes, of which many run Pactor. You may notice I say "own" and
not
> "operate" because I seriously doubt any of these owners actually operate
(or
> even monitor) the operation of their systems. Instead they have other
pursuits
> and their auto-mailboxes are just left to sit and run. Their only
intercourse is
> to solve a problem, like it's "off the air", in response to an email.
>
> Frankly, these people are obsessed with 'service' or 'email' and otherwise
> ignorant of any operating tenets. It's not that they're rude. In my
experience
> they just don't care. Many of these 'owners' place their stations outside
of
> FCC jurisdiction to avoid caring at all.
>
> Just my soapbox opinion,
>
> 73 de Phil - N8PS
>

> Quoting "Thomas F. Giella W4HM" <thomasfgiella at gmail.com>:
>
>> I've been operating the digital modes since 2003 and RTTY contesting
since 2006 and I've had 100's of QSO's destroyed by PACTOR stations that
didn't listen before transmitting on top of my QSO. Listening before
transmitting is one of the most basic tenets of operating going back to the
beginning of hamateur radio.

>> So I have no doubt that RM-11708 will destroy virtually all digital mode
QSO's if allowed to pass. PACTOR operators are some of the most rude and
most selfish of all hamateur operators.