[RTTY] RTTY Contest Operating

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Thu Feb 18 02:25:42 EST 2016

The actual transmission of RTTY is a small part of the average QSO period,
which is largely composed of wait times.

Consider my average time per QSO last weekend in WPX.  30 hours / 3812 QSOs
= 28 seconds/QSO.  Thus, I would work less than 12 more stations in those
saved 5.5 minutes.

For stations that worked 1000 QSOs, it amounts to 3 additional QSOs across
the entire 30 hours for single-op scoring.  That's a 0.3% increase in QSOs
or score.  Unlikely to change the OOF (Order of Finish) in the results.

Ed W0YK

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:00:33 -0800, Ed wrote:

>I don't think the miniscule speed decrease is a factor.

Bill W6WRT's reply:

You might be surprised.  If you send 5NN 2000 times during a contest,
that adds an extra 5.5 minutes. That applies to receiving 5NN too.

167 mS x 2000 = 334000 mS or 5.5 minutes.

How many more stations can you work in 5.5 minutes?