[RTTY] VP8STI on RTTY?

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 25 22:32:23 EST 2016

I was able to work them on 15 meter RTTY Friday afternoon when I got off
from work. It was a half our before sunset around 2300Z (5 PM). They were
ESP copy at best. I had heard them briefly on 15 RTTY a couple days earlier
but too weak to work. I heard them on 30 RTTY with decent signals on my
Pixel Loop but I didn't try to work them because I don't have a 30M transmit
antenna right now and didn't need them on 30.

I needed them on 12, 15, 80 and 160 meters. On Saturday during the BARTG
Sprint I saw a spot from a fellow member of the Delta DX Club who has a
contest station north of Lake Pontchartrain (he worked them all bands except
10M). The spot was for 12M SSB. I immediately went there, they were weak but
readable. I found the station he was working up 5, called and got through on
the first call. Immediately after making the contact, they faded away. I
then received email from my friend Don, AA5AT, in Baton Rouge congratulating
me on the contact. He heard the QSO and like me, lost their signal right
after I worked them.

I only heard them for about an hour on 80 meter CW one evening but did not
get through. I didn't even try other bands since I didn't need them.

My only other RTTY contact with the South Sandwich Islands was VP8SSI on ten
meter RTTY on April 1, 1992.

I'm thankful for the contacts I did make and glad they are safely off the
island. Hopefully they can get back on to retrieve all the equipment and
make it safely to South Georgia. A local Delta DX member, David W5XU, is
part of the VP8STI team. Can't wait to hear his stories.

Don AA5AU