[RTTY] Windows 10 Question

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 10 15:16:11 EDT 2016

I didn't have any issues moving from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on my ham
desktop PC. Everything worked and it even accepted my 4-port serial board.
Of the programs you mentioned, I know HamCap and DigiPan work. I would
venture to guess the others work too.

It is said that you can revert back to Windows 7 if you don't like Window
10. I don't know how that works, but here's a suggestion I got from Bill,
W6WRT, that works very well. There is a program called Macrium Reflect which
is free for non-commercial use. It allows you to create an image of your
existing hard drive. You save this image to something like an external hard
drive for safe keeping. It also allows you to create bootable rescue media
(USB Flash Drive, CD or DVD) for whatever Windows version(s) you are
running. So you can create an image of your hard drive (and create a rescue
disk or flash drive) for Windows 7. Then you can upgrade to Windows 10. At
that time you can create an image of the Windows 10 hard drive (and rescue
media). Try Windows 10. If you don't like it, re-image your hard drive back
to Window 7. This way you don't have to deal with whatever method Windows
has to revert back from 10 to 7.

Then, in the future when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7, you will have
an image of Windows 10 and will not have to pay for it. I'm sure there are a
lot of other programs that will do the same thing but Macrium Reflect works
well for me and I use it to backup hard drives on all my personal computers.
Thanks Bill!

I like Windows 10 more than any other Windows operating system. However, on
my work laptop, I tried Windows 10 and there were a couple of things that
did not work so I had to revert back to Windows 7. For one, the old Cisco
VPN client software will not work on Windows 10 and they even tell you that
before you install Windows 10. (There was a workaround for installing it
found on the Internet. I was able to install it, but it wouldn't connect.)
It does support the newer Cisco client but I still have customers that use
the old client. Also, if you have equipment that requires you to use MS
Internet Explorer for programming, then there could be an issue. In Windows
10, Microsoft introduced the new Edge browser. And even though you can
invoke Internet Explorer from within Edge, I have found that it just doesn't
work for some applications. I have no such requirements in the ham shack so
Windows 10 works well for me there.

73, Don AA5AU