[RTTY] Waterfall and CQ conundrum

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Mar 27 20:11:53 EDT 2016

On 3/27/2016 2:08 PM, Jeff AC0C wrote:
> The use of "DE" would be a mess, especially for the people living in DE.

BS!  There is a clear difference between calling CQ, QRZ, TEST, etc.
and an exchange.  It used to be that software *required* DE to decode
calls buried in noise ... and it may still be the case for some soft-
ware and calls that are not in the "known callsigns" databases.  In
any case, DE is only a problem for RTTY contests that use states as
multipliers and that is a relatively small percentage of contests.

If the skimmer algorithms required CQ DE, QRZ DE, TEST DE, RR DE, etc.
that would quickly become the standard again and put an end to the
problems with S&P stations who do not start their macros with CR/LF,
CR, or LF *as recommended*.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV