[RTTY] "QRL?" is a trick question on RTTY!

Randy Lake randyn1kwf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:15:16 EDT 2016

My take on this, as I usually only run, is that if I am coming on the band
and find an "open" frequency I call QRL twice. If no response I call. If I
am running and hear that same scenario I make a point to "MOVE" to the
questioning caller to the detriment of the station I am trying to work. I
try and hold my frequency.
If one waits, what say 2 minutes? during a contest to make sure the
frequency is clear, you may as well shut the radio down. Part of calling CQ
is knowing how to deal with encroachers. Same on CW. It is all a function
of what I can tolerate and what others cannot, as far as QRM is concerned.
I personally can tell when someone is coming close and one that is getting
too close.
I wish I always had a "clear" run freq.
Randy N1KWF

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I am running with a well-established frequency for a half hour or an
> hour, and somebody decides that "QRL?" for 10 seconds or even a whole
> minute is a valid way to see if the frequency 50Hz away is free or not, I
> will not print him and he will not print me.
>
> I'm not saying that I never use the clarifier to print the off-frequency
> callers. But I myself will never QSY my transmit frequency to meet an
> off-frequency caller. Much less someone trying to justify taking my run
> frequency.
>
> Sending QRL? instead of listening to the frequency, is just a "trick
> question" for him to validate QRM'ing me.
>
> The only valid way to determine if the frequency is clear or not, is to
> listen for a while!!!!
>
> Lack of printable response to QRL? on RTTY will never be a valid to start
> CQ'ing.
>
> Tim N3QE

Randy Lake N1KWF
73 Gunn Rd.