[RTTY] New Radio

Thomas F. Giella W4HM thomasfgiella at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:57:15 EDT 2016

I used an Icom IC-718 as a dedicated RTTY contesting radio for 1 year. It
was tough as nails on transmit at 100 watts full duty cycle, go figure! But
it wasn't good as far as IMD at 2 kc on receive.

I ran an Icom IC-746 Pro as a dedicated RTTY contesting radio for 1 year. It
had over heating problems on transmit at 100 watts full duty cycle and I had
to add an external muffin fan on back. It also wasn't that great as far as
IMD at 2 kc on receive.

I ran an Icom IC-756 Pro 3 as dedicated  RTTY contesting rig for 2 years. It
had over heating problems on transmit at 100 watts full duty cycle and I had
to add an external muffin fan on back. IMD at 2 kc on receive compared to
the other ones listed above was better.

I ran an Icom IC-7600 as a dedicated RTTY contesting rig for 2 years. It had
over heating problems on transmit at 100 watts full duty cycle and I had to
add an external muffin fan on back. But it also had over heating problems on
receive go figure! Maybe it was just this particular rig, I don't know? IMD
at 2 kc on receive compared to the IC-756 Pro 3 was better.

I have been running an Icom IC-7410 as a dedicated RTTY rig for the past 3
years. It is tough as nails on transmit at 100 watts full duty cycle and it
has no problems with over heating so have not had to add a muffin fan on
back.

IMD at 2 kc on receive is tied with the IC-7600 with the two optional
roofing filter installed. I actually use two Icom IC-7410's. Of course the
IC-7410 is missing dual watch, a pretty color screen, a visual waterfall and
real time spectrum scope. But none of those bells and whistles are missed by
me while contesting.

I'll probably try an IC-7610 when it comes out.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella W4HM
Lakeland, FL, USA
thomasfgiella at gmail.com