[RTTY] Q Rate Killers

Dave Barr recordupe at verizon.net
Tue Sep 27 08:38:30 EDT 2016

In almost all RTTY contests I operate qrp, so I am always concerned with
taking too much of someone's time to get my exchange copied accurately.
I have three particular items for which I am looking for opinions:

1. In a multiple part contest exchange (not including 599) as is CQ WW,
is it preferable to send each part together, or complete exchanges
consecutively, i.e., NJ NJ 05 05, or NJ 05 NJ 05.

2. Is it preferred by most ops to receive exchanges 2 times or 3
(adjusted according to conditions).  Do many ops really care about the
extra half second to send another NJ 05?  (I know this question has been
beaten to death.)

3. Because of the higher possibility of repeat requests, does anyone
think that qrp is out of place in some or all RTTY contests.

I maintain several seamlessly "chainable" macros that contain one and
two iterations of exchanges, plus chainable macros for each part of the
exchange without call signs to use if someone asks for a repeat of only
one part.  Rarely do I repeat the other call sign, or mine if I have
seen it to be correct.

I wonder, in difficult qsos with several repeats, if sometimes the other
station gets frustrated and looks up my state on qrz.com, or if I get an
exasperated "TU" and am not put in the log.

For the question about the state coming up in the wrong box on N1MM, I
believe that, at least in the CQ WW, if you click on the sent state with
only the call sign box filled on the line, that the other boxes will be
filled properly.

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO USE A SPACE AFTER YOUR CALL SIGN IN ALL
SITUATIONS.  If you have a one or two letter suffix, be proud of it.

73

Dave, K2YG