[RTTY] [RBN-OPS] Re: Multiple spots RTTY [3 Attachments]

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Feb 5 12:22:33 EST 2017

On 2/4/2017 4:53 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> Interesting! How would you generate two separate sets of mark and
> space frequencies with different spacing but the same call. Is this
> a possible outcome from overdriven AFSK?

That is possible from overdriven AFSK, typically the second shift
will be two or three times the normal 170 Hz (2nd, 3rd harmonics).
The other possibility is an "inverted" signal due to insufficient
opposite sideband suppression (or an over driven PA/IMD).

I used to have an SDR screen capture of one of the PJ boys (first
week of operation) showing both at the same time on a badly out
of spec. transceiver.

Things like this are the reason I still advocate for the use of
FSK instead of AFSK if the transceiver supports it.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV