[RTTY] I may have missed something

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Mon Mar 13 15:40:47 EDT 2017

The "TU, NW" technique works great in DXpeditions just as it does in
contests.  I don't see it used that often by DXpeditions, although I deploy
it 100% of the time whether contesting or not.  It works through the pileup
faster and reduces some of the incessant calling.

I had the same experience with TU7C earlier today on 17m RTTY as described
below.  I hadn't been calling for a while and all of a sudden he sends me a
signal report.  Could be that he was using a multi-channel decoder or could
be he was just calling call signs in his decoder window, no matter how old.

Problem is that I had been watching his behavior and concluded he was
randomly moving around.  So, I was also moving around between clear spots.
I had no clue where I had transmitted when he printed me.

That caused me to change my pattern and stay in one place.  A few minutes
later he called me again.  I reciprocated with a signal report, which he
never confirmed.  He just kept sending my report plus "only W0YK only W0YK".
It didn't look like I was being QRM'd, but conditions could be very
different on his side.  I finally gave up.  I'll see later if he logged one
of those two attempted QSOs.

On balance, I think being predictable is more effective than being
unpredictable.  I don't consider jumping around within a spread-out pileup
to be "unpredictable".  It could be that the DX operator is simply calling
stations that are in the clear so he can copy, and that is predictable.  He
may be experiencing uncopiable pileups immediately after he finishes his
current QSO and has to move.  That's when also moving around between clear
frequencies may improve chances of being picked up.  This random movement
may start occurring after enough savvy ops are seeing the pattern of his
regular move deltas.

The best way to figure out the predicatable pattern is to spend time
observing rather than blindly calling.  It may improve the odds of working
the DX station.

Ed W0YK